This week’s weekly links is dedicated to the utter stupidity of a Georgia School District for firing a teacher that had a vacation picture of her holding a beer. Seriously, she went to England, had a snapshot of her in a pub holding a beer and smiling and some conniving parent anonymously complained to the school seeking her termination. Actually, she was forced to resign, but basically the same thing. The details are: she had her Facebook page set to private, so only her friends could see her pictures (so someone in her network must have “leaked” the “offensive” photo), and they claim there was profane language on the page, but apparently, that was an ad served by Facebook with the word “bitch” in it. The terror! I have a couple problems with this:
- Primarily, this was utterly stupid and wrong. Not only has she been wronged, but it will have impacted her students who lost their teacher without notice and it has drawn massive controversy and news coverage to their school.
- She will get her job back after a costly court battle, likely with backpay and a settlement. Who will pay for this? The local taxpayers – so, the students.
- This just makes no sense. Shame, shame, shame for being hypocritical schmucks. You tell me not a single school administrator has a facebook picture similar in nature?
- Let’s consider this scenario: She goes to a restaurant and has a glass of wine. A parent snaps a picture of her and puts it online. Should she be fired?
This is utter stupidity and will end up costing the district money in the end that could have gone toward education or lower taxes frankly. Dumb, Dumb, Dumb.
Anyway, here are some favorite reads from the week as well as outlets that featured my content:
Financial Samurai – Grades Don’t Matter? (I think they do)
Len Penzo – 100 Words on Inflation
Oblivious Investor – Investing Life Insurance Proceeds
Monevator – Why it Makes Sense to Buy a Home Over Renting
Simple Dollar – Does Cutting Meat, Eggs, Dairy from Your Diet Save Money?
Burning Platform – Evil in the Catholic Church (I couldn’t Agree More…)
Stuff I Wrote all Over the Place:
- How to Profit from First Day of Month Gains in the Markets
- 7 Fresh ETF Launches for the New Year
- 4 Retirement Mistakes to Avoid While You Still Can
- Mark Cuban = Wrong
- I’m Killin’ It!
- Bad Credit = No Interview!
- My Kid Set the Thermostat to 90 Degrees!
- Efficient Markets?
- 5 Things Everyone Should Know About This Year’s Tax Changes
- Buying Gifts for a Family with Many Children
Carnivals that Featured My Content: