I penned an article earlier this week about how I’m shorting Treasuries, basically because they’re overvalued in my opinion as the US is on the precipice of default within decades and we have deficits projected as far as the eye can see. While I view this as a sound investment decision (more of a trade really), one commentator in another forum called me out for “betting against America” and being unpatriotic. I think he might have been kidding to some degree, but I’ve heard this before in other circles, like when people were shorting the Big 3 Autos as they entered bankruptcy and such. So, I might consider the alternative, which is, I’m doing my patriotic duty to try and change our spending habits in Washington so my kids have a future. If the only way I can do that is blog about it and bet against Treasuries in the hopes of increasing yields to make it tougher to borrow, isn’t that a good thing?
I’m curious if you think it’s unpatriotic to short the US Treasury.
On that, some much more insightful and fun reading for the week:
The Burning Platform – PONZI SCHEME
The Big Picture – PIMCO’s Gross: QE1 and QE2 ‘destroyed’ credit creation
Political Calculations – Why Small Businesses Aren’t Creating Jobs
Invest It Wisely – Why You Should Use Coupons
Budgeting In the Fun Stuff – Refinancing Update
Sweating The Big Stuff – Saving Money on Gas Isn’t Always Worth It
Financial Samurai – An Optimist’s Outlook: Why Not “Unemployment Day” Instead?
Money Crashers – List of 16 Major Leading & Lagging Economic Indicators
PT Money – Is Your Emergency Fund Big Enough?
Oblivious Investor – Who Is Your Money For?
Money Mamba – Stocks Are Cheap
101 Centavos – Gold Bubbles and Gold Stocks
Stuff I Wrote Recently:
- Say Bye to Full-Time Employment: You’re Likely to be a Temp in the Future
- August Update: Traffic Up 31%, Earnings Up 17%, Outsourcing Biz and More
- My Foray into College Real Estate – Animal House 2011
- Is Capitalism Doomed? The Cliche of Our Time
- Shorting Treasuries For the Ultimate Risk-Takers
- Hottest ETFs of the Week: Irene Aftermath
- 4 Cool Fans to Get You Through the Heat
- The Best Companies in the World are Outsourcing. Why Aren’t You?
- Virtual Company Profile – My Pool Contractor Outsourced EVERYTHING!
I hope you enjoyed this week’s roundup – please be sure to check out all these other great blogs…just come back!