There’s a great site worth checking out. In the same vein as the Occupy Wall Street crowd who claim to represent 99% of Americans, there’s another site dedicated to the JUST 53% of Americans that actually pay federal income taxes. After all, if it weren’t for those 53%, who would pay for the 47% of Americans who presently pay no federal income taxes?
It’s a culmination of pictures and stories outlining how Americans who started from humble beginnings have pulled themselves up and made something of themselves. They have had their challenges, and they still do – but they are contributing back to society by starting businesses, working long hours and notably, paying federal taxes and living the American dream.
Here’s my Story:
- I was raised middle-class
- I have never known priveledge. I wore hand-me-downs, we drove crappy cars and didn’t take extravagent vacations. My parents were VERY frugal and saved enough so I could go to a state school.
- I went to college and got a job
- I worked 60-100 hour weeks for years (including weekends) because that’s what my job demanded
- I wanted a better work-life balance for myself and my family
- I got an MBA to be able to move into a corporate function and have better hours
- I wanted additional financial security and options in life so I started a blog at night which is helping to fund the college 529 plans for our children, our retirement and even a swimming pool to enjoy life in the present
- I partnered with a college friend to found a CAD Services business
- I made a sizable real estate investment so years from now I will have an additional steady income stream
- I am not immune to layoff; people around me are being laid off weekly – by MY employer. If it happens to me I will get back on my feet.
- I have always paid federal taxes since I started working as at age 15 (OK, I mowed lawns starting at 12 and didn’t report that income; real jobs only). I am raising my children to positively contribute to society and be self-sufficient.
- I am the 53%
I am living the American Dream
Here’s the site that I wish I’d started myself.
Are You Part of the 53% ?
What’s Your Story?