Out of the blue, a buddy of mine forwarded me a link I wasn’t even aware of from our local energy company, PECO. I was elated to see that there are several different rebate programs (here) that don’t require massive new HVAC units and solar upgrades, etc. like the widely publicized tax rebate programs. No, they’re actually going to PAY ME for a fridge I already bought (see how I paid $1100 for a $2800 Fridge, then got a brand new one again with a complaint letter) and there’s more!…
- $75 Fridge Rebate – Since the fridge I bought was energy star (virtually every appliance is these days – they need to revamp those standards), our fridge is eligible and I’ll get a further $75 back that I didn’t even know about!
- $35 Recycle – Additionally, while we’re keeping our old clunker in the garage for extra storage, PECO will come pick up your old fridge for free and PAY YOU an additional $35 for the pleasure!
- Old air conditioner you don’t use anymore? They’ll pay you $25 to pick the thing up? We actually lent ours to a friend years ago and they don’t use it. I should ask for it back!
- Discounted CFL Bulbs – There’s even a tab for stores selling the more efficient CFL bulbs at a discount!
- $120 to Cycle My HVAC – I haven’t heard of this one before, but interestingly, they’ll install a device which will cycle the unit on and off at certain times as opposed to random starts/stops while still seeking to maintain setpoint. In doing so, it conserves/optimizes energy use across the grid. They’ll pay you $120. I’m just not sure how much it might impact my temp control. Some summer days, the unit runs practically non-stop, so 15 minute stops might be problematic.
So, while you may not be a PECO customer depending on your location, I’d expect that other energy companies are offering similar rebates and incentives that you may not even be aware of.
Go to your energy company’s website and check it out!