January was the best month ever for Darwin’s Money (which is the goal every month!), with traffic more than doubling! I have to credit much of the surge to google’s search algorithm updates, where some existing articles started to pick up traction. I’ve also been routinely featured in various blog carnivals and roundups and freelancing brings in curious onlookers as well from larger sites like American Express and Wisebread. Have a look-see at this trend:
(click to enlarge)
While I don’t give out specific earnings numbers, I’ll provide a few tidbits.
- January was more than double my typical month (see Five Figure Blogging).
- Adsense revenues exceeded $1000 for the first time in a looong time, primarily due to some great search traffic. See, visitors from Google are much more likely to click through an Adsense ad than social network or return visitors since they’re not necessarily coming to your site looking for a search term. When someone googles a particular term and I have a relevant article, there’s a relevant ad block up there. Included in this value would be other projects like ETFBASE and other cats and dogs where I derive a few bucks a day.
- Freelance work brought in a record amount as well.
- I don’t make what I used to from affiliate conversions – something I should work on. I lay out what affiliate ads are in The Economics of Blogging 2.
- I had a few direct ad placements for various things last month. The Yakezie network has been a big help in that arena, as I’ve been networking with great bloggers, as well as being included in various ad arrangements.
Here were some top performing articles I wrote last month:
- Efficient Markets – Are You a Believer?
- Present Value of Money
- Muni Bonds have Jumped the Shark
- Save 25% on Your iPhone Bill
- Think Twice About that Salary Increase to Stay
- Tax Shields Explained
- US Debt Ceiling Vote Coming – Why This Matters
- States Stealing Gift Card Values? WTF!!!
- Elasticity of Demand Explained
- 7 Fresh ETF Launches in 2011
- Finally, Invest in Facebook, Twitter and More Through Next FUND
- 20 Top Performing ETFs of 2010
So, far, a great way to start off the year vs. my 2011 Blogging Goals. Looking to crush it this year!
Do You Have Any Ambitious Projects for 2011?